History of Franconia Baptist Church
Franconia Baptist Church began as Beulah Baptist Church, located on Beulah Road in Alexandria, Virginia. The church covenant was formally adopted in on November 10, 1870. On February 2, 1873, Rev. B.P. Dulin was called to serve as pastor. Since covenanting together in 1870, the church saw years of faithful preaching, steady growth, and consistent practice of church membership and discipline.
In 1957, the church purchased land at the corner S. Van Dorn Street and Franconia Road, and a new church building was constructed. A portion of the Beulah Baptist congregation relocated to this new site, where they covenanted together as Franconia Baptist Church, under the pastoral leadership of Dr. C.L. Bishop. The current church building still sits at this same location today. Over the decades that followed, Franconia Baptist continued, by God's grace, to serve the Northern Virginia community through faithful gospel preaching and a variety of ministries aimed at reaching the lost, equipping Christians, and serving those in need.
In 1966, Franconia Baptist became the site for the newly chartered Luther Rice College, with Dr. C.L. Bishop serving as president. With its first enrollment of students in 1967, the college served as a center for educating Christian men and women in theology, ministry, and liberal arts. Eventually, the college relocated to a different site in Alexandria.
In 2015, Nick Roark was called to serve as the pastor of Franconia Baptist Church. Today, Franconia Baptist is a diverse, growing community of Christ-followers who are committed to glorifying God by proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ in all the nations, and equipping Christians for life and ministry. FBC is also actively engaged in global ministry efforts—partnering with likeminded churches to pray, send, and go for the spread of the good news in all the nations of the world. We seek, by God's grace, to continue as a bright gospel witness in our community and to the ends of the earth.
Franconia Baptist Church serves in friendly cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention.
*More information is available at Franconia Museum.